Family Caregiver Relief Benefit
The new Family Caregiver Relief Benefit (FCRB) provides eligible Veterans with a tax-free lump sum grant. This benefit ensures Veterans continue to get the support they need when their informal caregivers are temporarily unavailable. It allows an informal caregiver to take time off and recharge or attend to their own health and well-being, while the Veteran's needs are still being provided for in his or her absence.
You may qualify for the FCRB if you have a disability award* and:
- you have an informal caregiver to assist you with your illness or injuries related to your disability award.
- your need for care is ongoing (expected to last at least 12 months).
- your informal caregiver is 18 years of age or older and is not paid for providing or coordinating your care.
- you are not a permanent resident of a nursing home or long-term care facility.
* This program is only available to recipients of a disability award. If you have a disability pension or POW compensation of 1% or more, you can apply for Attendance allowance. Similar to the FCRB, the Attendance allowance is a significant benefit available when you need help with daily living tasks and are considered totally disabled.
Do you have both a disability award and a disability pension of 1% or more?
Other ways to apply
- If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can apply online now. You can also track the status of your application through My VAC Account. If you aren’t registered, why wait? Register today.
- By phone:
- In person:
- Find an office
- By mail:
- Veterans Affairs Canada
PO Box 6000
- Date modified: